Tuesday 14 May 2019



The quagmire economy of my country, Gangiria isn't helping matters. Our president, Kahari promised Change. We all bought his mantra and indeed received change. All of us. Including Papa. This is exactly why his creditor of 2 months, Pa Silvanus has come with the police to whisk him away in a cuff. 100,000 Gangirian Shillings isn't a niggardly sum. With that, you can buy a land and lay a foundation. With papa in cell, the bread winning baton was passed to me automatically as the first son. I just completed my SSCE. How do I raise 100,000 shillings talk less of fending for 6 siblings and an ailing mother? Mama was diagnosed of breast cancer 6 years ago and has defied the doctor's report. It was confirmed that she wasn't going to survive 6 months but here she is, witnessing another Kahari administration. We could not afford chemotherapy so papa placed her on a strict vegan diet. Honestly, it's been exorbitant to keep up with but has proven effective over the years. Papa borrowed that money from Pa Silvanus with the hope of refunding it immediately after being paid his pension fortnight later. But Kahari's administration has failed to fulfill its promise.
"Enough of the blame game. My destiny is in my hands," I summoned courage. I must find out how Benjamin my neighbour whom I had always avoided to associate with has managed to thrive in this ailing economy. They say he is a yahoo boy now and from what I heard from Titi, my younger sister, he has plused it. Rumour has it that he hangs a live toad around his neck whenever he is on his laptop.
"A toad," I thought. That's not dangerous. In frantic desperation, I began a rapport with him that same day at night. He promised taking me somewhere very early the next morning. As dawn broke, we set out. We arrived at our destination, a place I'd describe as haunted and deserted where an old man with a pipsqueak frame welcomed us.
We were ushered into a basement with scant supply of air that glowed in cerulean light. A calabash was opened and that was the last thing I remembered as I opened my eyes in a white garment church with bells chiming and songs chanting over my head.
Patronize Our Services and don't forget to subscribe to this blog.

No comments: